Tuesday, February 07, 2012

A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by G. R. R. Martin

I generally like to read almost everything. I can't think of a genre that I hate, although I do not think I'm going to be picking up any book soon with aliens thrown somewhere in the plot. Aliens are not my thing, long gone the days of Mulder and Scully. Recently, I picked up A Game of Thrones and it was one of those page turners. I could not stop reading it, busy as I was. I haven't read fantasy for quite some time, so this was exactly what I needed. Here's what I thought of it.


A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice & Fire Book 1 by G. R. R. Martin
4 Stars

Lord Eddard Stark is lord of Winterfell and lives in the North, in a time where winter and summer are measured by years, rather than months. His friend, and King of the seven kingdoms, King Robert Baratheon, comes unexpectedly to visit with his wife, kids and brothers in law. He offers Eddard a position serving him in King's Landing as the Hand of the King, and Eddard accepts and leaves Winterfell with the King.
Westeros is a continent of sorts, that is ruled by Robert, and bordered by the land beyond the Wall, where the Others and wildlings live. The wall is protected by the Night's watch who take an oath to guard it as long as they live.
The book is told from different character's point of views, the Stark kids, Catelyn (Eddard's wife), etc. In the beginning I found it very difficult to keep track of all the characters, and wished there was some sort of page where they were all listed (most fantasy & historical fiction novels have maps and family lists). I got the hang of it, eventually. And after finishing it, I found the appendix with all the names! I read this on my kindle, and had no idea it was going to be at the end. Don't they usually have those at the beginning of a book?
Greatly enjoyed it. Mid way through the second already, and can't wait to finish the series. I miss reading fantasy. I think this was exactly what I needed to motivate me to finish reading The Eye of the World (stopped at book 9 in that one, but I could definitely see the similarity in both EotW & GoT). My complaint about A Game of Thrones, however, was that I found it too explicit; there were several recurring scenes that I wish I could've just skipped.

2 comments:

miracle said...

a friend of mine dedicated this book to me, but I did not receive it yet :p thanks for the review. Now I am excited to read it..

Bookworm said...

Hii miracle! Long time now see :)

I just started the fourth book. It's very addictive, but let me warn you again. It's quite explicit! I still find it disturbing :/ but I want to know what happens next.