Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tinkering


One Star.

It took me more than a week to trudge through this under-200 paged novel. In the beginning, it reminded me a teensy bit of Cormac McCarthy's The Road. I loved The Road, so I was happy. Soon enough, I discovered that it was nothing like The Road, but still, it seemed decent enough. A few pages later, I realized I hated the book, but forced myself to finish it. A dying man, George is surrounded by his family, and in the few days before his death, he remembers random things from his past. His jobs, his dad and family, his passion about clocks and fixing them. I usually like lyrical prose, and I have no qualms about stories that aren't packed with action. However, I found it very very difficult to like Tinkers. It seemed to be like an assortment of beautiful sentences strung together, and that do not necessarily add anything to the story. The only thing I could visualize whilst reading was the caravan George's father had. That was it. I found the characters dull and boring, except for the hermit. Too bad he only had a few paragraphs.

0 comments: