Friday, October 15, 2010

So.Little.Time

Found this on twitter and thought I'd share it here. A list of 20 untranslatable words, I've never heard of most of them. The only ones I knew were the Arabic (of course) ya'aburnee (which has a lot of varieties depending on the dialect), the German Schadenfreude, and the Japanese kyoikumama. After reading this list, I got an amazing idea for my dissertation. Instead of working on what I am working on, I'd like to compile a list of Arabic untranslatable words in works of literature and film and see how they were dealt with. My brain says this is just another tactic of procrastinating..oh well, maybe I'll do a short paper on it after my dissertation, if by any chance, by that time, I'm still interested in academia..

I'm currently in love with P. G. Wodehouse, I can't believe I only stumbled upon him last year. Reading my first Wodehouse that's not part of the Jeeves and Wooster series, it's called Uncle Dynamite, and I'm lovin' it. Besides a few random books, my reading has been solely studies related, and I haven't been able to actually sit down and enjoy a book because my mind goes "OH! Include so and so in Lit Review" "You forgot to book an appt for such and such" "They said they'd call you for a job interview, why didn't they?" etc.

This morning, I woke up with a song in my head. I youtubed the only two words I knew of it and found that it was by a band called The Temptations. Ooold, but this song's been played in so many movies that it's carved a niche in my mind. Reminds me of the movie My Girl as well...ahh, those days.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting idea for a dissertation, jot it down since it might come in handy. Ah this weswas, it comes a lot! LOL when I told my (new) advisor all what I wanted to do, he said "keep that for the PHD" hah Bookie, how about a PHD? ;P :P

Waiting for "the call" is tough, but be sure that the best will turn out at the best time ;)

Best of luck in the thesis =) Found 2 helpful journals at the library :Target & Babel. Might help too =)

-Belle/Natsu

Muna said...

HellOoo,
Where are you my dear? it's been such a long time since the last post.........

missing your updates...

muna

Spring Blend said...

hey..come back

keep posting..we r waiting ; )

sadia said...

you're on twitter?! :D

Bookworm said...

Thank you all. I'm sorry for not replying earlier.