Friday, December 19, 2008

Mumbo Jumbo

It's great being back. Got back last friday, bumped into my aunt at the airport (she had just gotten back from hajj), and spent a somewhat bumbling busy week since.

Just a couple of more days before we start a new year. It's funny how time just flies by you. Where are all those seconds, minutes and hours going? I was never a new-year-resolution-making kinda girl. Whenever I had something I wanted to work on, I just plonked it on my to-do list. Sometimes things got scratched off, whilst other times they just sat there, staring at me from my to-do list. An angry frown on their faces, but oh well, some things are never meant to be.
This year, I'll make a list tho. Maybe it'll work?
I have been watching BBC Food religiously for quite some time now, trying out their recipes every now and then, and recently I got Nigella's cookbook. I tried several things and was quite happy with the results. I'm not a huge, adoring brownie fan, but I like them just fine. I seem, tho, to have perfected the art of eating them, rather than making 'em cuz I have tried seeeveral recipes over the past years and they all end in one of three:
1)- Swirly grey smoke inviting the nostrils to make a hasty visit to the kitchen (circa 2002, burnt to a crisp, but I'm happy to say that the kitchen was unharmed contrary to first impressions).
2)- Use of wrong baking pans (circa 2004, I used a much smaller one than needed and for some reason the thing was unbakeable, stubborn to all those extra minutes I stuck it in the oven).
3)- Strict adherence to recipe rules, but ultimate failure all the same (circa 1999-present, now tell me, why is that?)
So you can probably understand my feelings of imminent failure at the end result of my brownie baking yesterday. Miraclously tho, the brownies turned out great. I had to leave them an extra 7 minutes (7, no more, no less) and they are being eaten sporadically by the members of this esteemed household. I'm quite proud of my brownie achievement. A round of applause, please?
Baking has some bad ass therapeutic effects. All that beating, folding and mixing gives one a great opportunity in talking to I. And if you're angry, why, you can just forget about the electric mixer and do all the mixing manually. Just make sure not to cause a whirlwind and splatter dough all over the place. Mothers wouldn't be too pleased about that.

12 comments:

Karamilah said...

wwwbbbb
and haj mabroor and sa3y mshkoor to ur aunt
and i wanna try ur brownies, although i cook a lot, i never succeeded in making brownies, so i wanna try urs

Bookworm said...

Thanks hun!

I'll send ya some brownies by fedex right now :P

hehe, I've had several brownie disasters in the past. The recipe I tried the other day didn't have any flour, so maybe that's why it kina worked.

sadia said...

welcome baaaaaaack!

*clap* *clap* *clap*

i loooove baking too.
and i'm a BIG nigella lawson fan!
you must share your recipe!!

Spring Blend said...

Heeeeey

how come i never tried ouT ur BrownYyyY..or u never CoOke dit for me..!!!!!1 :@@@@@


Masha Allah..i LoOve ur Enthusiasm in COoKing.. Glad it tured OuT GOooD this Time ; )

and welcooooooooome BAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaack ^__^

Hope to see you soooooon ensha Allah : )

Bookworm said...

Sadoya, thaanks!

Oooh, you a fan of nigella too? We'll have to share some cooking teps, eh? ;)

Ill redo the brownies and will post a recipe inshAlla.

Hala Marmora,

Well, this is the only time they ever worked, and I didn't want to feed you burnt embers..lol InshAla ill make them for ya sooooooon =)

Let's do something together next week? I'll call ya to make plans.

kath said...

i am so sorry i wasnt able to see you last weekend :(

it's been so crazy here...

Bookworm said...

Heya Kath,
S'ok hun! I know you're pretty busy this time of the year ;)

InshAlla we'll get to meet soon.

sadia said...

that's a great idea!
post the recipe with pics for each step of the way.

Chinese Eyes said...

Welcome back! BBC food ? My friend loves watching it too. She says its so interesting and she has learned loads of stuff. I never watched it though. I'm love baking, but every time I try. A disaster happens!!

Bookworm said...

Heya Sadia,
Sure thing, I'll make sure to do that =)

Hala Chinese-eyes,
Thanks hun. Yep, it really is interesting and informative. Oh gosh, I've had so many disasters and catestrophes in the kitchen I've lost count. But its still fun, and it feels great when I finally get something right ;)

Belle said...

You're right. I don't believe in New Year revolutions either =)

Wow the electric mixer is my bff XD But that's when I do go to the kitchen which has been scarce these days.
Cooking has a therapeutic effect =)but I get that from drawing & coloring so I should find another reason to learn how to cook XD
Bas mashAllah I like your enthusiasm =)

& 7aj mabroor wa sa3i mashkoor to your aunt. w el7emdelellAH 3ala salametkom kelkom =D

Bookworm said...

hehe, its not that I don't believe in resolutions per se, I just think we should start ours whenever. A new year is just an organized way of setting them (obvious reasions: start/end of a block of time) but really, any time'll do!

Ohh, altho I don't really know how to draw/paint well, I really love it. As a kid, that was the thing that would engross me for hrrrs. I took one or two courses in the past couple of years and loved them and I might go for more soon =)

Thanks hun ou Allah eysalimch! TC :*