Tuesday, May 06, 2008

A little bit of Rain in my life

2 more days and I'll be an intern no more. It's kind of boring going to school now since we've finished the curriculum and all we're doing is revising. I was kind of looking forward to the revision part cuz I wanted to try out some games/strategies I had read about. Of course, that wasn't possible since my mentor takes a very traditional view on revision. I don't think the girls are really paying attention tho, and it's kind of sad that some of them weren't even paying attention the first time round. In the future, I think, I'll do some mix and match - traditional teaching does have it perks, but introducing other interactive ways to revise the material would be an added bonus.

To be completely honest tho, I wonder if any 'fun' strategies would work during revision - these things require students that actually study, and that know the topics. With the staggering amount of topics students in upper elementary take during the school year, I have no illusions about how much they would actually remember. Espicially given the fact that most students do not study.

In other news (yes finally, something non-teaching, non-education related) I've been reading. Reading one of the most boring, most disappointing books ever. It's kind of sad that the only good thing I have to say about it, is that I love the title "Eat, pray and love". Somehow I made it to the middle (the praying part) and I'm hoping I'll get through it. I don't like leaving books unfinished (I do it a lot tho, always promising myself to finish them 'later'). The other book I'm reading is "Children of Men" (the movie was out a while back), and although I'm only a couple of chapters in, I've been really enjoying it. I have to admit I like these kinds of books (dare I say they're bordering on sci-fi?).
I'm always very grateful after an exceptionally surprising visit from my dear chum, migraine. As a student, skipping school isn't that big of a deal, besides, it is the only way I can cope w/ the recurring headaches. But I've been worried about how it would be when I start working. Yesterday I woke up with my brain just pulsing, but I decided to go to work anyways. I took my pills and nearly took a u-turn 10 minutes away from the school (I had been on the road for 1 hr, and I guess the ride just made it worse). Somehow I made it to my classes and because it was revision week, the day was shorter (ends at 12.50). Effort wise, I probably didn't give 40% of what I usually give, but I'm glad I went. Even tho it meant that I spent the whole day afterwards trying to sleep the migrain off, and taking more pills. I would probably not be able to go to work if I get worse cases of mirgaines, but at least I know I could somehow manage throughout the day. And I could think ahead of time and always have some activities on hand for such days, like independent group activities or use the time for the students to catch up on their work, peer tutoring, anything that would actually help students w/o much involvement from me.

I baked a banana chocolate cake the other day. My bros liked it, but next time I do it, I will definitely try and make it look more acceptable. I had a spot of trouble when adding the icing, the sour cream I used wasn't the kind that I usually get, so maybe that's why it was a bit too liquidy/runny. Or maybe I should have left it on the fire for 5 more minutes or so.





3 comments:

Spring-Rain said...

Ahlan ahlan :D

about teaching in a traditional way..i think adding new techniques is always interesting for students an perhaps will be more encouraged to participate..it the future..u will be the leader of ur class..so i guess u will be HapPyier about how things will work

about "Eat, pray and love".. Oprah's show was talking about the author and the book the other day..

i think the other book of urs is more catchy " Children of men"..hmmm...I wonder what is it about..

yesterday night.. suddenly i decided to read:
" The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari"

at the beginning, i was like..noooot interesting..but after a couple of pages..it caught my attention..lets see what happens..i hope i finish it :D

hey.ur cake looks so delicious yummyyyyyyyyyyyy..

by the way..when i came t ur house the other day..the desert that looked like sanafer was sooooo YUmMYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyy..masha Allah..tell me how u mad eit :D please ^_^

take care..and best wishes in ur studies

Katheria said...

I hope that when you are finally officially teaching, you get to try out your revision strategies and have students that can recieve them.

What a delicious looking cake!

Bookworm said...

Yes, I can't wait to have my own class to do my own things in!

It was on Oprah? Gosh, it certainly does not deserve that, but then, thats only my opinion (hehe, I end up not liking most books that are on Oprah's bookclub:p)

Children of Men is a sci-fi book about the extintion of human beings (at least thats what i think it is about, havent read much into it).

ooh, I haven't read the Ferrari book yet. Only a couple of pages then dad took it to read. You have to tell me all about it, ok?

I'll give ya the recipe but it's top secret info, guard it with all your power :P

Thanks sweets & u 2, bestest with everything!

Hiya Kath,
I really hope so! Thanks hun.