Saturday, November 10, 2007

Auld Lang Syne

Who hasn't heard of the infamous 'Auld Lang Syne'? Robert Burns poem that is quoted in almost every book, movie and anime (yes, anime). The Japanese version of this song is called 'Hotaru no Hikari' (I recently found that out when I watched the drama that has the same title). Wiki says it's traditionally sung on the New Year's eve, but I know that it's also sung when finishing school (they do that in anime!) & when bidding farwell to a friend. It's a favorite of mine, the words never fail to give me goosebumps. I'm not sure, but I think I first read it in one of Alcott's books.You can read the original version in wiki's link. Without a doubt, the opening is my favorite part:
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne?
How many times have we promised, and been promised to be friends forever?

0 comments: