Monday, October 29, 2007

Reductio Ad Absurdum


"Reductio Ad Absurdum" *waves wand*
Yeah, I WISH!
It just means proving something by contradicting it. So, like prove that the contradiction is wrong and by that you're proving it's right. Yeah. Part of tomorrow's exam, sweet, huh?


So, as I was studying I noticed that there were quotes at the beginning of each section (I only noticed that, like, after the third or fourth secion, very observant, huh?) Anyway, the quotes were actually ineresting so I skimmed through the book to check the rest out and I found that a lot of them were quotes from 'Alice in Wonderland'. I read the abriged version of the book when I was a 6 year old, and mum got me the whole collection of Carroll's books when I was 11 (which I still haven't read). So anyway, seeing all those Alice quotes made me sure of ONE thing: Monsieur Caroll was a Mathematician. So I wiki-ed him. Naturally, since wiki is our generation's savior. I got a bunch of info about him: his real name is Charles and he was a mathematician. And apparently, "Alice in Wonderland" is full of refrences to all things mathematics.
Quotes that I liked:
It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it.
- Rene Descartes
"Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."
- Lewiss Careoll, Through the Looking Glass )
I wish if I could sleep now. (Shoot, I was actually tempted to write that out as an argument)

7 comments:

Miracle said...

WOW.. I consider myself "lucky" for finding your blog.. you know i am not this kind of person who is interested in searching for anything.. However, today.. and i don't know why.. I spent almost 3 hours searching for good blogs.. and to my surprise, I came across yours :D i love reading.. lol you've read Alice in wonderland when u were 6? I am thinking of reading it these days :D

Bookworm said...

Hello Miracle!
Aw, thanks - im glad you liked my blog.

Yep, I read Alice but it was the kid's version :S That's why I want to read it - the unabridged version this time.

I love reading as well ;)
Thanks for passing =)

Miracle said...

I was talking about ALICE IN WONDERLAND with my classmate today.. :D she laughed when she realized that I'd like to read it!!

they (some ppl) thinkkkkk thattttttttt it's a story for kids and that's thaaaaaaaaaaat, but i look beyond that. I love the philosophy behind it.

i have the unabridged version :D and i am gunna give it a try NOW.

I liked "Lord of the Rings". J.R.R is a masterpiece.

Bookworm said...

Hey Miracle!

heh, yeah I guess Alice seems childish to some people. But that's only because media presented so to them. I'm sure that if your classmate gave it a chance she'd see how grown up-ish it is ;)

Ooh, so you're another bookworm, aren't you? I started reading fantasy again but LOTR is always going to be a fave with me. I read it several years ago..and I still love every bit of it.

Miracle said...

Hey Bookworm, I am waiting for your next post!!! please talk about books books and books. yummyyyyyyyyy.. :D

Belle said...

Hello Miracle ^_^
& I feel lucky to have read this entry =D wow Bookworm you reminded me, of all the books I wanted to get my hands on, Alice IN Wonderland is one of them XD I'll check if we have it at home =D
So the author was a mathematician! Wow whoever said that "you could do or be anything & everything you want" wasn't lying ^^ Alice is also quoted in psychology & literature ^^ hmm I might as well look for some of the quotes & include them in one of my papers =P
I like your neat handwriting ^_^

Bookworm said...

miracle,
ha post about books with a side dish of fiction and fantasy coming right up!

belle,
its been a while girl! yeah, alice is definitely a book worth reading. I unearthed my copy, it actually has all the complete works of Monsieur Caroll. I remember I read his poems when I was in 6th grade.

hehe, yeah, pepper ur essays with his quotes, you won't go wrong ;)
I love the fact that he's a mathematician :P