Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Samurai's Garden

Some books I had ordered finally arrived at Mags. I just can't wait to get them! Magrudys (& Borders) are my only saviors right now. My credit card just won't work! I've been trying to use it for like 8 months, and actually sent it to the incompetent bank for a 'check up'. Anyways, I'm going to email the director a lengthy email today telling him exactly what I think of his establishment and his great customer service. I'll close all my accounts in that back and switch to the one I usually use. Then, amazon will really be only a click away, inshaAlla.
I spent yesterday morning reading 'The Samurai's Garden' & I just couldn't stop till I reached the last page. I've read a book by the same author a couple of years ago and I remember that I had loved it. This is another great one. I liked the journal entries in the novel, and I loved how the story unfolded. And I absolutely fell for the wisdom in it. There's something that I will never forget. A girl was expected to commit seppuku in the book and couldn't, and then she runs away because she can't bear to let her family know how she dishonored them by living. Someone then tells her this: "It takes greater courage to live". And that really made me think about Bushido - the Samurai's Way. I mean, it used to be that they had to kill themselves when they dishonored their master in any way. I never thought of it as the easy way out, I always thought of it as they wanted us to believe. That it was the highest decree of restoring honor and obeying their master. But really, it is like running away. Bearing whatever the dishonorable deed is and facing life would have been really too arduous to even think of. I mean, imagine what it must be like for a samurai who not only dishonered his master, but didn't commit seppuku. Being shunned by people, having no clan or tribe, being a nothing, really. Living such a life would be deemed as useless, would be so depressing and agonizing that some might see it as punishment enough for any deed. Facing the problem, the people and trying to make things right if possible does take greater courage. I loved that line, it literally redifined Bushido in my mind.
Altho I enojoyed the book immensly, I think that the book I had previously read was of a much better style. I've become quite picky about writing styles now and sometimes I find that I can't complete a book because of it's lack of originality and deformed style. The samurai's garden isn't like that tho! Its inspirational.
I always manage to distract myself with books, gardening, movies when I have projects/finals. Eh, I guess it's inevitable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember much about the samurais but... the idea of tribes was everywhere! El7emdella that we don't have it anymore, people can be themselves & have the right to do that (or perhaps that's the reason behind the fragmentation these days) :P

wow I didn't know that you liked gardening! :D I wish I did too :P I totally understand what you're going through. I'm "supposed" to be studying for my finals but I always manage to find a reason to browse the net (& the first excuse is checking my downloads) :P

projects & university work are tyring but once they're over you'll get a rewarding feeling (ham w enzaa7) :D
Ja gambatte ^_~ (& take breaks)

~~Natsu ^_~

Bookworm said...

I love gardening and ever since I was in middle school, cravings for planting flowers and plants would pop up during finals :P

I think we still have the idea of 'tribes' here and to me it seems we're still very much a collective 'we' culture. Which I think can be good at times. When the 'we' has no place for the 'I' is where I think it's wrong. I meant how samurais were expected to kill themselves if they did something wrong. It was deemed honorable, but I guess there are lots of opions on that.

Thanks, you too! Bestes with everything.