Saturday, April 21, 2007

Done?

Imagine my surprise when I read this article. It was one of things that were overdiscussed at my house when I was a kid. It really used to frustrate me that we had an available resource at our hands that could replace various other resources, but that no one was doing anything about it. Dad tried to tell me that the costs of having equipment made would be crippling amongst other things. I wish we had technology institutes here that would teach us how to make equipment like that and more. I don't see that wish happening anytime soon though; what with them cutting out the math and computer courses at my uni, then the day for paving the way for sophisticated technology would never come.
I just sat through a funny episode of Johnny Bravo with my 5 year old brother. His mother was making him see little Suzy (supposedly a shrink now) about his nightmares and he sprouts off this 'Johnny has problems with intimacy' - and I think he said commitment. I remember watching the show as a kid, but for the life of me I can't remember the things he said. I doubt my little bro understood much, but I finally found the show funny (I used to abhor the show).
I read 'Flowers for Algernon' a couple of weeks ago. I've had the book for nearly 2 years but didn't even try to peek at it. A novel that talks about genes should be one of the first things I devour; after all, I had wanted to major in genetic engineering. But I've been shying away from my passion, mainly because I didn't want to dream again about things that would never happen. Algernon woke me up, its one of the books that makes you wish you had read when you were younger. A question I once heard about blindness (what do you think is more painful: being born blind or becoming blind after an injury?) is mainly what the novel is about. Only substitute blindness with intelligence. After finishing the book, I had to make sure that it was merely fiction. I almost believed it.
I finally have a free weekend. I'm done with pretty much everything that was stressing me, and next week will be my last in teaching. I know more projects are lined up, but for now, I'm happy with how things are. And I only have 9 weeks of school left, something to look forward to.
Aim for the sun!

7 comments:

katheria said...

We used to discuss similar topics with my father when I was younger... I felt smart always having something to say about sunpower in science class at school. xD

El Hazard said...

If only I were good at math and could have gone into electrical or computer engineering...

I came up with a really good idea today in the school cafeteria. Most of the girls there have laptops and bring them and use them in the cafeteria. For whatever reason it seems none of them have ever heard of "charging" those things before they leave the house - add to that the brilliant person who designed our cafeteria, which is very nice don't get me wrong, who only thought to put like 3 electric sockets in that huge place. You can see the frustration when a girl goes for the socket only to find some one else using it.

That's what I saw today. The girl even persisted and pleaded with the other girl to use it but I guess the other girl needed it just as bad cuz she didn't give in.

That's when it hit me that some one should invent solar powered portable laptop chargers. One would just have to put it out in the sun for a bit get it all nice and full and it then supplies enough power to last a laptop a good 2- 3 hours before one would need to recharge the charger. Hmm I know a girl in my speech comm class who's in the electrical engineering section maybe I'll put the idea to her and she could make something like that...

Wow, sorry for the long comment, I'll shut up now!

katheria said...

Wow... that makes me feel so lucky. Since laptops are a requierment for so many majors at my school, the cafeteria (and everywhere else really) is fully loaded with electricity sockets.

Bookworm said...

Hey Kath,
I used to have the same conversations with uncle as well. And you're right, I also felt smart when the subject was brought up in class.

Bookworm said...

Greetings Elhazard,

Hm..good idea, maybe you can also suggest to your friend solar powered mobiles for a capstone projectt too =)

Like Kath's uni, ours is filled with electricity and network outlets. But that's because the uni was built with the idea that all students are required to have laptops. Feel lucky :P

El Hazard said...

Solar powered mobiles O_o... Maybe some one should just invent "wireless energy" like how we have wireless internet =D

Bookworm said...

wireless energy would be kewl too. Solar powered everything would be nice as well, can't let the sun go to waste :P